Picture gallery: Students’ Christmas designs unveiled
SOME of the most talented young artists in and around Weston have been battling it out in the annual competition to design a Christmas card for the town’s MP.
John Penrose offers schoolchildren the chance to showcase their talents by crafting a festive card for him to send to contacts.
This means the lucky winner will have their work seen throughout Britain’s corridors of power – with one card even likely to end up in the hands of Prime Minister David Cameron.
This year’s cards were designed around the theme of Weston’s ‘super’ new seafront, and the competition was won by Priory Community School pupil Kayleigh Phillips, who saw off some stiff competition from around the district.
John said: “I’m delighted that the enthusiasm for our competition is as strong as ever and I want to congratulate all the children who took part this year and were clearly inspired by our seafront theme.
You may also want to watch:
“Their drawings and designs were very, very good and it was hard to pick the winners.”
n Winners: Key stage 4 (and overall winner): Kayleigh Phillips, Priory. Key stage 3: Molly Marshall, Churchill. Key stage 2: David Almond, Mead Vale. Key stage 1: Sophie Bamfield, Walliscote.
- 1 REVEALED: Three locations chosen for new Aldi stores
- 2 Six people evacuated from fire in town centre
- 3 Weston mum and daughter shocked after day-long litter pick
- 4 Family pub reopens after lockdown transformation
- 5 Two injured in car and motorbike crash in Weston
- 6 Thunderstorms forecast for North Somerset
- 7 Weston people wanted for film to promote town
- 8 Doctor and cancer nurse recognised in Queen's Birthday Honours list
- 9 Urgent call for Covid vaccine volunteers in North Somerset
- 10 Planning application submitted for £30million second school site
n Highly commended: Key stage 4: Hannah Scriven, Worle. Key stage 3: Keira Landen, Churchill. Key stage 2: Robbie Evans, Mead Vale; Heather Day, Mead Vale; Jamie Parsons, Mead Vale; Ellie Morgan, Milton Park; Liam Jones, Milton Park; Becky Ball, Herons Moor; Chloe Pritchard, Heron’s Moor; Jordon Mailey-Sherwood, Kewstoke; Sophie-Marie Webb, Churchill Primary; Eleanor Holder, Walliscote; Jessica Burman, Walliscote; Kyle Kerr, Becket; Megan Stott, Becket; Courtney Raynard, Becket; Annalise Brown, St Martin’s; Neve Shannon, St Martin’s; Molly Palmer, St Andrew’s; Samuel Ryan, Sandford; Archie Hancock, Sandford; Thomas Edward, Sandford. Key stage 1: Martha Bishop, Becket; Chardonay Clark, Becket; Ola Slowik, Milton Park; Emily Johnston, St Andrew’s; Alisha Nottingham-Brinkley, Walliscote; Harry Smith, Hutton.
Click on the link on the top right-hand side of the page to view some of the top designs.