Budding Worle sporting stars honoured at Oscar-style award ceremony
- Credit: Worle School
Budding sporting stars at Worle School Academy in Weston were honoured to have received a variety of awards in a glittery Oscar-style evening.
Pomp and ceremony took over the night as the students' sporting achievements were awarded with trophies and special speeches from coaches, teachers and professional cricket and rugby players.
Prizes were presented by special guests professional cricketer Sophie Luff, and professional rugby player - and ex-Worle student - Aaron Thompson who both gave speeches.
Sophie plays for Western Storm and Somerset while Aaron plays for the Bristol Bears.
Special awards went to students who had shown huge improvements throughout the year.
Izzy, aged 14, was celebrated for her incredible swimming achievements and the Year 10 football team won the Somerset Cup for the first time in 20 years.
Gymnasts Nicole, Maria, Niamh, Lottie and Megan competed in a team of five and secured a gold medal in their first international competition in Portugal for the UK team.
- 1 Police appeal after acid attack on woman in Weston
- 2 Fears Weston will be UK 'laughing stock' if See Monster delayed until September
- 3 Masonic lodge donates to Weston's RNLI
- 4 New coastal path linking Brean to Sand Bay opens
- 5 Weston College to launch new adult courses for free
- 6 North Somerset Council to approve historic bus improvement plan
- 7 Councillor heralds Marine Lake revamp a 'huge success'
- 8 Research reveals which car brands hold their value best
- 9 Bank of England warns people have 100 days to use old £20 and £50 notes
- 10 Lovely detached family home with Mendip views
Principal Jacqui Scott said: "This was a fantastic evening with such a wide array of sporting achievements.
"We are passionate about sports at Worle - well done to all our students."