Eight-year-old boy is a 'hero' after coming to Nanny's rescue on Valentine's Day
PUBLISHED: 10:00 25 February 2017
A brave eight-year-old boy became a 'hero on Valentine's Day' after he went to his grandmother's rescue when he found her unconscious on a bed.
Riley Whitfield, from Worle, was spending the evening at his grandparents’ home in Burnham when his grandmother passed out as a result of her medication.
Thankfully, she had taught Riley basic first aid skills and the quick-thinking youngster was able to go to her rescue.
Tracey Whitfield, aged 52, said she was taking the children upstairs to clean their teeth when she fainted.
Mrs Whitfield was unconscious for nearly two hours but, after she was treated by paramedics, did not need to go to hospital.
Riley told the Mercury he was scared when he found his grandmother unconscious but had to be brave for his sister Evie, aged six.
Riley, who attends Castle Batch Primary School, said: “I had a feeling something was wrong with nanny and she wasn’t just sleeping.
“I put my hand on her chest to feel her heartbeat, found her pulse and I held my hand above her mouth to feel her breath.
“I would have put nanny in the recovery position but I didn’t because she would have fallen off the bed.”
In March last year, Mrs Whitfield had been looking after her grandchildren and decided to teach them some basic first aid skills.
She taught the youngsters how to find someone’s heartbeat and pulse as well as how to put an unconscious person in the recovery position.
She said: “I did not think very much of it, it was just something fun for the children to do. I never dreamed they would have to use it.”
Mrs Whitfield told the Mercury she takes the medication to treat her chronic fibromyalgia and fainting is one of the rare side effects.
She said: “When I woke up I did not know what had happened and I could not remember my own name.
“I am so proud of him and how my gentle, caring little boy remembered what I taught him nearly a year ago.
“He was my little hero on Valentine’s Day.”