Explosion fear after gas leak

PUBLISHED: 10:30 20 January 2010 | UPDATED: 11:36 25 May 2010

FEAR of an explosion led to residents being evacuated from their homes in Weston last week.

FEAR of an explosion led to residents being evacuated from their homes in Weston last week.

A gas leak on the Bournville estate meant some flats in Grasmere Drive had to be emptied at 11pm on Friday.

Wales and West Utilities was called out to the area after a householder smelt gas at a property.

A technician was sent out and found a leak, so as a precaution about 20 people were evacuated from their homes.

The residents took shelter at the For All Healthy Living Centre in Lonsdale Avenue until about 6am when they were able to return to their homes.

Anyone who smells gas should call 0800 111999.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Weston Mercury. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Weston Mercury