Fiesty footballers in celebrity charity match
FIESTY footballers, the Congresbury Old Boys, will be dribbling on the field when they face a celebrity team to raise funds for charity.
FIESTY footballers, the Congresbury Old Boys, will be dribbling on the field when they face a 'celebrity' team to raise funds for charity.
The players, who are all former team mates of Congresbury Football Club, will be reforming as an old boys side and kicking off in an 11-side match this Sunday to raise funds for Weston Hospicecare.
They will be playing against radio presenters Paris Troy and Ben Moss from GWR FM, former Arsenal player Dave Hillier, former Bristol City and England player Russell Osman, former Bristol Rovers players David Mayhew and Andrew Gurney.
One of the organisers, David Ford, said: "We decided to arrange the match in memory of a good friend of ours, Mike Collins, who died of cancer earlier this year and was a sports fan."
You may also want to watch:
The 51-year-old died from prostate cancer in July.
Mike, a father-of-one, had lived in Cairo for the last six years and worked as a casino director.
- 1 Forest preschool and holiday club set to open on outskirts of Weston
- 2 Disruptions to your journey by car across North Somerset
- 3 10 beauty spots in North Somerset
- 4 Weston hotel destroyed by fire to be redeveloped this year
- 5 Weston's youngest funeral director achieves qualifications
- 6 Have you seen wanted man Frazer Englefield?
- 7 Wind and water sports in Weston
- 8 Have your say on plans for new GP surgery on Weston Rugby Club site
- 9 PICTURES: New supermarket opens at shopping district
- 10 Gale force winds expected to hit North Somerset
He was born in Haywood, Manchester, and moved with his family to Cleeve when he was six years old.
Mike attended Cleeve Primary School and Weston Grammar School.
David said: "We are hoping to raise more than £1,000 for Weston Hospicecare."
The match starts at 1pm. Entry is free. Following the game, the hospice's Congresbury support group will hold a raffle, food and drinks at the Cricket Pavilion, Congresbury.