Boy, 5, left with finger 'hanging off' after self-closing door at Costa Coffee traps his hand

PUBLISHED: 07:00 21 July 2017

Toby Hazzard with his dad James. Toby had his finger severed off by a door in Costa Coffee.

Toby Hazzard with his dad James. Toby had his finger severed off by a door in Costa Coffee.

Archant

A five-year-old boy was left 'uncontrollably screaming' in pain when his finger was almost completely severed by a self-closing door in Costa Coffee in Weston.

Costa Coffee in Weston-super-Mare, where Toby Hazzard's finger was almost completely severed by a self-closing door. Picture: GoogleCosta Coffee in Weston-super-Mare, where Toby Hazzard's finger was almost completely severed by a self-closing door. Picture: Google

Toby Hazzard was waiting in line for the toilet at the Bransby Way store in Locking Castle with his mum Fiona and three-year-old sister Phoebe when the fourth finger on his right hand got trapped in the side of the heavy door.

His dad James said his Toby’s mum turned round when she heard her son’s screams and saw his finger ‘hanging by nothing but a piece of skin’.

He told the Mercury: “The door closed on his finger completely. He was stood there stuck and just started screaming.

“He was bleeding quite badly. He wasn’t crying so much as uncontrollably screaming in pain.”

Toby Hazzard at Bristol Children's Hospital.Toby Hazzard at Bristol Children's Hospital.

Fiona managed to cover Toby’s finger quickly, so he could not see the wound.

An off-duty paramedic was in the coffee shop at the time and rushed to help Toby, while staff at the store called an ambulance which took him to Bristol Children’s Hospital.

Toby – who lives in Bleadon and goes to Lympsham Primary School – has since had surgery to re-attach his finger, but it is not known how much permanent damage has been caused.

James said: “We are hanging on to see what the outcome will be.

Toby Hazzard at Bristol Children's Hospital.Toby Hazzard at Bristol Children's Hospital.

“The surgeons have reattached it, but because there’s lots of damage to his nerves and his nail-bed.

“We don’t know if it will ever go back to normal.”

James said the door was fitted with a protective guard the day after the incident, which happened on July 9, but he hopes Costa will review its health and safety policy.

He said: “I just think anyone’s finger could have been caught in that door.”

Toby Hazzard at Bristol Children's Hospital.Toby Hazzard at Bristol Children's Hospital.

A spokesman from Costa said the incident is being investigated by its external insurance provider, and added: “We were concerned to hear about what happened to Toby and we wish him a speedy recovery.

“As a gesture of goodwill we have sent him a voucher so he can buy his favourite toys to play with while he’s getting better.”

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Weston Mercury

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists