Finsbury Park 'terror attack victim' named as police continue to question suspect and former Weston-super-Mare resident Darren Osborne
PUBLISHED: 13:18 22 June 2017 | UPDATED: 13:29 22 June 2017
The man who died at the scene of the Finsbury Park terror attack in London on Monday has been identified - with a post-mortem examination revealing he died of 'multiple injuries'.
The Metropolitan Police has confirmed 51-year-old Makram Ali, of Haringey, died after a van ploughed into a crowd of worshipers near a mosque in Seven Sisters Road at 12.20am, injuring 11 people.
Former Weston-super-Mare resident Darren Osborne, aged 47, was arrested on suspicion of the commission, preparation and instigation of terrorism; attempted murder and murder – and is in custody at a south London police station.
The Met has been granted more time to detain father-of-four Osborne, and can keep him in custody without charge until 12.54am on Saturday.
A special post-mortem examination was carried out on Monday at the Whittington Hospital, with ‘preliminary findings’ finding Mr Ali died of ‘multiple injuries’.
Mr Ali is believed to have collapsed prior to the attack, and was receiving first-aid treatment as the attack unfolded. He was pronounced dead at 1.04am.
Mr Ali’s family described him as a ‘peace-loving and gentle person who had no enemies’, and was looking forward to an upcoming family holiday in Canada.
He regularly attended the Mosque in Seven Sisters Road, and leaves behind a wife, six children and two grandchildren.
A family statement said: “We are devastated by the loss of a husband, father, brother and grandfather, Makram Ali, in this tragic event.
“Our father was a quiet gentle man, he didn’t get involved in political or social discussion, he instead took comfort and enjoyment spending time with his wife, children and grandchildren and he was always ready to make a funny joke when you least expected.
“We wish everyone to know what a loving man he was, he spent his whole life without any enemies, choosing a quiet life instead.
“We as a family have always believed that the actions of one person cannot be a reflection of a whole people and I have no doubt that our father would not wish for there to be any retaliation or recriminations and would urge people to remain calm and to pray for peace in these difficult times.”
The Met’s Deputy Assistant Commissioner Neil Basu said: “We are very grateful to everyone who has provided information so far – their accounts are assisting the investigation hugely – but we need more people to come forward and tell us what they saw and what they know about the driver of this van. If you think you may have spoken to the driver please get in touch.”