Large fire in Weston started ‘by accident’
PUBLISHED: 07:30 27 September 2018 | UPDATED: 14:59 05 October 2018
Fire investigators believe a massive blaze at an industrial unit in Weston-super-Mare yesterday (Wednesday) began accidentally.
Huge plumes of smoke could be seen right across the town as firefighters battled for control.
Police, paramedics and firefighters were called to Oakwood Business Park in Oldmixon Crescent at about 1.45pm.
Two storeys of one unit were alight when Avon Fire and Rescue Service reached the scene.
Cylinders in the building had to be removed and people working in the immediate area were evacuated as a safety precaution.
A 100m cordon preventing access was also put in place.
It took firefighters more than four hours to fully gain control of the fire.
VIDEO: Smoke visible across Weston-super-Mare.
A dozen firefighting teams were sent to the scene, but all bar one were stood down last night. The remaining crew stayed at the incident overnight damping down and checking for hotspots.
South Western Ambulance Service has confirmed no-one was injured in the fire.
A fire service spokesman this morning (Thursday) confirmed early investigations suggest the fire was started accidentally.
Avon and Somerset police has released a list of businesses which are still inaccessible this morning due to the fire – Unit 10, Unit 11, Boulevard Kitchen & Appliances, Muro Digital, Club Sandwich, Conceptwear Printing and Embroidery, A Squared, Combicare, BHC, Weston Gas Centre, Triple A Recruitment, CMG, DS Securities, ID Verde, GB Sport & Leisure, Alpha Signs Systems, Scootopia, Westwave Bathrooms, Lith Supplies, Avon Partitioning and Nord Bitumi.
Businesses on the other side of Bridgwater Court and on the other side of the road area accessible.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Weston Mercury. Click the link in the orange box below for details.