Firefighters find cannabis plants in house fire as Milton Road remains closed
- Credit: Archant
A busy Weston road is shut this morning (Tuesday) as crews tackle a house fire, with cannabis plants found in the property.
Milton Road is closed while Avon Fire and Rescue Service battle a blaze in Bathurst Road.
Firefighters were called at 5.03am and Milton Road remains closed from Clarkson Avenue to Milton Hill Road.
Five fire engines are in attendance, while police are overseeing the road closure.
A fire service spokesman said: "Crews from Weston, Winscombe and Yatton are attending a fire on Bathurst Road in Weston.
"On arrival, they found a fire on the first floor of the building.
"Crews confirmed the discovery of cannabis plants at the address and the fire on the first floor spread to the loft area of the property. Two firefighters in breathing apparatus extinguished the fire using one high-pressure hose reel.
- 1 Police appeal after acid attack on woman in Weston
- 2 New coastal path linking Brean to Sand Bay opens
- 3 Weston College to launch new adult courses for free
- 4 Fears Weston will be UK 'laughing stock' if See Monster delayed until September
- 5 North Somerset Council to approve historic bus improvement plan
- 6 Councillor heralds Marine Lake revamp a 'huge success'
- 7 Dual-site primary school rated good by inspectors
- 8 Masonic lodge donates to Weston's RNLI
- 9 Century-old family business opens new storage facility in Worle
- 10 Research reveals which car brands hold their value best
"Crews also used a thermal imaging camera to check for hotspots. Western Power Distribution was in attendance and isolated power to the property. The cause is thought to be accidental and police remain in attendance maintaining cordons."
An Avon and Somerset Constabulary spokesman added: "We were called by the fire service at 5.40am to a fire at a property on Bathurst Road, Weston-super-Mare.
"The fire service advised us they discovered cannabis plants in the address.
"We're currently supporting the fire service by providing a cordon around the property and assisting with traffic control while they deal with the fire.
"Enquiries into the incident are ongoing."