Fire causes M5 delays
- Credit: Archant
A VAN fire is causing serious delays on the M5 southbound this morning (Wednesday).
One lane was earlier closed between junctions 22 (Burnham) and 23 (Bridgwater North), although it has since reopened.
Traffic is still heavy in the area, with congestion reported back to junction 21 for Weston, and drivers are being advised to avoid the motorway where possible.
A statement from Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue said: “Several calls were received this morning to reports of a vehicle fire just after junction 22 of the M5.
“One fire appliance from Burnham and one from Bridgwater were mobilised to the incident.
“On arrival, crews found the van on the hard shoulder, well alight.
“Crews extinguished the fire using two breathing apparatus wearers and one hose reel jet. Cutting equipment was used to gain access to the back of the vehicle.
- 1 Fatal crash on the M5 leads to delays for drivers
- 2 Dog found in hedge now looking for forever home
- 3 Weston-born man killed in sickle attack in Thailand
- 4 Plan for 70 new homes on edge of Worle revealed
- 5 Belvedere returns home as latest Helicopter Museum exhibit
- 6 Sainsbury's propose 9,000 sq.ft North Somerset store
- 7 Man who told police his partner self-harmed jailed for knife attack
- 8 Man killed after falling from bridge on M5
- 9 RNLI rescues people cut off by tide at Birnbeck Island
- 10 Travelodge looking to recruit for 600 jobs - including in Somerset
“The van was destroyed by the fire and the cause was accidental.”
It is unknown at this stage whether anyone was injured.