Fire completely destroys motor warehouse
PUBLISHED: 12:00 26 February 2015
A MOTORSPORT warehouse in Lympsham was 'completely destroyed' and will have to be torn down and rebuilt after a blaze which took 10 fire crews to tackle.
The Piaa Warehouse, which belongs to Hutchings Marketing Services, caught fire on Thursday.
Firefighters from Burnham were called to the incident in Bridgwater Road in Lympsham at about 9.40pm and discovered the two-storey building was on fire, with a number of vehicles and stock inside the building also alight.
The company’s managing director Chris Hutchings said: “The warehouse is completely destroyed and will have to be torn down.
“Thankfully no-one was hurt but unfortunately all of our stock comes from Japan so we can’t operate at the moment while we wait for more stock.”
The company sells a range of motorsport products to professional race teams internationally.
Mr Hutchings said: “The guys in Japan are trying to get us up and running as soon as possible because we supply lots of major world rally teams.”
Co-director, Julian Gallier, was in the flat above the warehouse when a passer-by alerted him to the fire.
Mr Hutchings said: “We are very grateful to the passer-by who started waving at the flat window and alerted the people in the flat above.
“They had absolutely no idea what was happening because you can’t see that part of the building from the flat. They left immediately and waited for the fire brigade to arrive.
“Thankfully the flat and Lane Williams garage next door were both undamaged.”
Throughout the night a total of 10 fire crews from Burnham, Weston, Shepton Mallet and Blagdon were called to help tackle the blaze.
An incident support unit and an extra water carrier appliance were also sent from Yeovil.
Police were called to the scene to help manage traffic along the A370 and Western Power also attended to isolate electrics.
The firm has found a temporary site to house stock when it arrives but is planning to rebuild the site in its current location.
Mr Hutchings said: “We have been here for 15 years, it’s the home of our company and we have decided to stay.
“I would like to hope it will be done within six months, but building is not something you can predict.
“We have got a surveyor on board and we will be working to try and get up and running from our own premises as soon as possible.”
He added: “We are planning a big re-opening because it’s coming up to our 30-year anniversary.”
Firefighters believe the fire was due to an electrical fault.