Fire rescuers praised
HEROIC teenagers broke down the door of a flat and battled through smoke and flames to rescue a 35-year-old man whose kitchen had caught fire. Mark Foster, of Loxton Road, on the Coronation estate, Weston, left a chip pan unattended on September 17 and hi
HEROIC teenagers broke down the door of a flat and battled through smoke and flames to rescue a 35-year-old man whose kitchen had caught fire.Mark Foster, of Loxton Road, on the Coronation estate, Weston, left a chip pan unattended on September 17 and his kitchen went up in flames.Luckily a group of teenagers spotted the smoke billowing through the window of his flat above the shops on the estate and ran up to help him out.Mr Foster had left the chain on the door and could not see through the thick smoke to let himself out.But Vinny Disney, Dean Howarth, Dan Purnell, Ben Ashmore and Dave Groom raced up to the flats and started kicking down the door.Dave managed to get the door open and Vinny went into the blazing property and dragged the man out. Vinny, aged 17, of Coleridge Road, said: "I couldn't see very well because of all the smoke. I just went in there and told him to get out. I grabbed his arm. "He wouldn't have got out of there otherwise, someone had to help him."Mr Foster was taken to hospital suffering from the effects of smoke inhalation.Dean, aged 17, said: "Vinny and Dave saved the day. People think we are troublemakers but we proved them wrong. When something happens we do something about it. "The police told us not to go in until the fire brigade got there, but we had to do something. I reckon it would have been too late if we hadn't because the flat was blazing."An Avon fire and rescue service spokesman Adrian Mantle said: "We praise the boys' bravery, but we also recommend that if anyone does see a fire to call us and let us deal with it.