Fire tears through derelict hotel in Weston-super-Mare
- Credit: Archant
Firefighters battled through the night to put out a blaze at a derelict hotel in Weston-super-Mare.
Avon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service were called to the Lynton House Hotel, in Madeira Road, just after 6pm last night (Saturday).
The fire started on the first floor and engulfed the building with smoke billowing out across the seafront.
Eight crews – from Weston, Avonmouth, Bedminster, Clevedon, Nailsea and Yatton – battled the blaze and police and ambulance crews were also in attendance.
The fire has now been extinguished, but an inspection is currently taking place to ensure there are no hot spots.
You may also want to watch:
Jim Wemyss, area manager for Avon Fire and Rescue Service, confirmed specialist search and rescue team have been called in to determine the cause of the fire,
An update on the investigation is expected later today.
The run-down hotel has been a target for squatters and arsonists. A planning application was submitted in April last year to knock down the hotel and turn it into flats.
- 1 Weston pub launches eating challenge to win £100 bar tab
- 2 Tropicana announces trio of lockdown-busting summer club nights
- 3 Man charged with possession of offensive weapon in village
- 4 Weston boy 'overwhelmed' at heart-warming response to car washing business
- 5 Primary school welcomes new principal
- 6 Jobs boom as Weston firm looks to expand
- 7 Doctors urge patients not to suffer in silence when it comes to their mental health
- 8 May 17: What are the Covid travel rules?
- 9 Travellers set up camp on Weston seafront
- 10 May 17: Bristol Airport 'disappointed' with green list