Pictures: Fire crews race to electrical fire at garden centre Costa

PUBLISHED: 12:52 20 July 2019 | UPDATED: 15:26 20 July 2019

Crews were called to an electrical fire at Sanders Garden Centre in Brent Knoll  Picture: Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service

Crews were called to an electrical fire at Sanders Garden Centre in Brent Knoll Picture: Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service

Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service

An electrical fire broke out in a village cafe this morning (Saturday).

An electrical fire broke out at Sanders Garden Centre, in Brent Knoll   Picture: Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue ServiceAn electrical fire broke out at Sanders Garden Centre, in Brent Knoll Picture: Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service

An electrical fire broke out in a garden centre cafe this morning (Saturday).

An electrical fire broke out at Sanders Garden Centre, in Brent Knoll   Picture: Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue ServiceAn electrical fire broke out at Sanders Garden Centre, in Brent Knoll Picture: Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service

Three crews including firefighters from Burnham-on-Sea and Bridgwater, arrived on the scene at Sanders Garden centre in Brent Knoll just after 9.50am.

Devon and Somerset fire and Rescue Service confirmed there was a small electrical fire involving the plug of a fridge.

An electrical fire broke out at Sanders Garden Centre, in Brent Knoll   Picture: Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue ServiceAn electrical fire broke out at Sanders Garden Centre, in Brent Knoll Picture: Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service

The centre had been evacuated and the fire had been extinguished by the time they had arrived, and crews set about making the area and appliance safe.

Fire fighters believe the fire was caused by either the plug or the refrigerator unit itself.

An electrician confirmed the centre's electrical systems were safe, before repairing the appliance.

The centre had to be closed for an hour while the smoke cleared, and the Costa coffee shop remained closed until 1pm.

Sanders Garden Centre Manager, Karen Hame said: "It caused quite a bit of smoke and we had to keep the centre shut while we cleared it out.

"Unfortunately we had to throw away most of the stock behind the counter as it was smoke damaged.

"Luckily we got a fresh delivery not long after.

"The centre and Costa coffee shop are open again and everything is back to normal."

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Weston Mercury

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists