Pictures: Fire crews race to electrical fire at garden centre Costa
- Credit: Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service
An electrical fire broke out in a village cafe this morning (Saturday).
An electrical fire broke out in a garden centre cafe this morning (Saturday).
Three crews including firefighters from Burnham-on-Sea and Bridgwater, arrived on the scene at Sanders Garden centre in Brent Knoll just after 9.50am.
Devon and Somerset fire and Rescue Service confirmed there was a small electrical fire involving the plug of a fridge.
The centre had been evacuated and the fire had been extinguished by the time they had arrived, and crews set about making the area and appliance safe.
You may also want to watch:
Fire fighters believe the fire was caused by either the plug or the refrigerator unit itself.
An electrician confirmed the centre's electrical systems were safe, before repairing the appliance.
- 1 Worle resident left with maggot-infested bins during heatwave
- 2 Versatile extended cottage with annexe in rural village
- 3 Electrical appliance retailer opens appliance showroom
- 4 Council hopes to reopen Weston Marine Lake later this week
- 5 Could self-driving pods be the future of Weston?
- 6 Disruptions to your journey by car across North Somerset
- 7 Covid warning issued in North Somerset
- 8 LOVE ISLAND 2021: Weston's Jake Cornish makes it official with Liberty
- 9 Popular Weston restaurant closes after nearly 60 years
- 10 Have your say on new stroke services
The centre had to be closed for an hour while the smoke cleared, and the Costa coffee shop remained closed until 1pm.
Sanders Garden Centre Manager, Karen Hame said: "It caused quite a bit of smoke and we had to keep the centre shut while we cleared it out.
"Unfortunately we had to throw away most of the stock behind the counter as it was smoke damaged.
"Luckily we got a fresh delivery not long after.
"The centre and Costa coffee shop are open again and everything is back to normal."