Pictures: Fire crews race to electrical fire at garden centre Costa
- Credit: Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service
An electrical fire broke out in a village cafe this morning (Saturday).
An electrical fire broke out in a garden centre cafe this morning (Saturday).
Three crews including firefighters from Burnham-on-Sea and Bridgwater, arrived on the scene at Sanders Garden centre in Brent Knoll just after 9.50am.
Devon and Somerset fire and Rescue Service confirmed there was a small electrical fire involving the plug of a fridge.
The centre had been evacuated and the fire had been extinguished by the time they had arrived, and crews set about making the area and appliance safe.
You may also want to watch:
Fire fighters believe the fire was caused by either the plug or the refrigerator unit itself.
An electrician confirmed the centre's electrical systems were safe, before repairing the appliance.
- 1 Weston Marine Lake outdoor swimming plans reach key milestone
- 2 Proposal to reduce traffic on rural roads withdrawn
- 3 Weston project promotes healthy eating for youngsters
- 4 Modern, versatile living in a historic manor house
- 5 The Playhouse announces reopening date this summer
- 6 Weston restaurants reopening outside on April 12
- 7 Husband and wife launch Cheddar Pizza House in lockdown
- 8 Tropicana confirms re-opening plans with first outdoor event
- 9 Stunning detached stone cottage in sought-after area of Weston
- 10 April 12 reopening: Weston shops preparing for spending spree
The centre had to be closed for an hour while the smoke cleared, and the Costa coffee shop remained closed until 1pm.
Sanders Garden Centre Manager, Karen Hame said: "It caused quite a bit of smoke and we had to keep the centre shut while we cleared it out.
"Unfortunately we had to throw away most of the stock behind the counter as it was smoke damaged.
"Luckily we got a fresh delivery not long after.
"The centre and Costa coffee shop are open again and everything is back to normal."