Firefighters’ warning after two houses burn
PUBLISHED: 14:01 28 November 2010
TWO North Somerset house fires have prompted firefighters to issue an urgent warning to householders in the area.
Blazes in Weston and Churchill have both been caused by faulty fridge freezers – leading fire crews to urge homeowners to ensure electrical equipment is working properly.
Repairs must be a priority, say fire investigators, who warn people who ignore problems could be risking their homes – or even their lives.
The first recent fire saw a woman return home to find a ‘severe’ fire in her Weston house, caused by the faulty appliance.
And on the second saw a family of six woken by their smoke alarm, and although they escaped unharmed, their home suffered substantial damage.
Avon Fire and Rescue Service’s North Somerset manager, Barrie Houghton, urged people to take precautions.
He said: “In both these cases the cause of the fire was accidental but the properties were both left badly damaged by fire and smoke.
“With Christmas approaching, fridges tend to be stocked with food more than usual and will be working harder to maintain cool temperatures. If fridge freezers are faulty there is a greater risk of fire breaking out at this time.
“We want to remind people to always turn off electrical items which don’t need to be on continuously and if they are aware of faulty electrical items to get them repaired or replaced.
“Fire can be devastating, destroying belongings and endangering lives.”
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Weston Mercury. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.