Five arrested after attempted burglaries in Weston and Burnham
- Credit: Archant
Five people have been arrested following attempted burglaries at shops in Weston-super-Mare and Burnham-on-Sea.
Just before 1am on Sunday, police were alerted to an alarm sounding at the Post Office in Manor Court, Locking.
A witness had seen a small black car and a light-coloured van drive away.
Officers confirmed an attempt had been made to break into the shop.
At 1.22am, witnesses reported a small black car being driven into the front of a shop in Berrow Road in Burnham.
You may also want to watch:
Nothing was stolen, but a light-coloured van was also reported to be at the scene.
The National Police Air Service helicopter supported officers and after a police chase, a silver Ford minibus was stopped in St James Street, in Weston, at about 2.20am and three people were arrested.
- 1 Weston pub to undergo renovations to restore 19th century look
- 2 PICTURES: Runners brave the elements at Weston Super Half
- 3 North Somerset risks 43,000 false-negative PCRs after lab mix up
- 4 Weston will get a bowling alley next year
- 5 Wheelchair Rugby Gold medallist surprises Weston pupils
- 6 Weston families 'deciding between keeping children warm or fed'
- 7 Council rejected for grant to preserve Iron Age monument
- 8 Bleadon-cold: Council's gritters return with sustainable fuel
- 9 Rotary club plants thousands of flowers for charity
- 10 John Penrose column: Goodbye to Sir David Amess
A black Citroen C3 was found abandoned in Brean and two more arrests were made nearby.
Two men aged 31 and 27, two 16-year-old boys and a boy aged 17 were all arrested in connection with the attempted burglaries.
Officers are carrying out house-to-house and CCTV enquiries today.
Anyone who saw the incident or has dashcam or CCTV footage which could help the investigation, is asked to call 101 and quote reference 5220201968.