Wassailing and quizzes – five things to do in and around Weston this weekend
PUBLISHED: 17:00 19 January 2018
A centuries-old West Country tradition will be celebrated this weekend as people prepare to wake the apple trees and scare off ghosts.
Wassailing events will take place around the area over the next few weeks in the hopes of securing another successful harvest.
– A fundraising quiz in aid of the Birnbeck Regeneration Trust will be held at the Weston Workingmen’s Club in Orchard Street on Friday.
It starts at 7.30pm and tickets can be booked by contacting Rose at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 07597 807008.
– Author MC Slack will be reading his book, Babu The Ninja, at Weston Library, in Walliscote Grove Road, on Saturday from 1.30-2.30pm.
Activities will be running for children aged four to eight. Register for free at www.eventbrite.co.uk
– Jacob’s Choir will host a fundraising day for Cots For Tots at Emmanuel Church, in Oxford Street, on Saturday.
The event will run from 2-5pm and will include a game of bingo.
– Dust away the winter cobwebs and look forward to spring with naturalist Chris Sperring.
Chris will lead a birdbox-making session at Big Worle Hub, in Clovelly Road, on Saturday from 11am-2pm.
– It is wassailing season and villages across Somerset will be chasing away the bad spirits.
The tradition will see people banging saucepans with wooden spoons through the villages to wake the apple trees after a long, cold winter.
Head over to Hutton on Saturday at 6pm for its ceremony.
People are asked to meet at Wood View in Moorcroft Road before continuing on to Walnut Barn in Church Lane. Tickets, priced £4-8, are available from Hutton Stores in Main Road.
If that was not enough, The Mendip Rotary Club will host a wassail at Rich’s Cider Farm, in Mill House in Highbridge, on Saturday at 7pm.
The Skimmity Hitchers and Bob Darch Music will provide some entertainment and tickets, priced £7.50, are available on 01278 783651.
If you are out and about this weekend then why not send up your photos. Simply upload them to www.iwitness24.co.uk