Former Weston journalist writes memoir with acclaimed author
- Credit: Archant
A former Weston journalist has collaborated with a critically-acclaimed American author to tell her story through an inspiring memoir.
Vicki FitzGerald, aged 38, worked as a reporter before turning her hand to writing thrillers.
Vicki, whose first thriller, Briguella was set in Weston, met award-winning author Mathew Crisci at a writer’s event where he convinced her to share her life story.
Still Standing follows Vicki’s childhood and adulthood, and poignant moments of marriage, divorce, grief, depression, betrayal, violence, suicide, and a near-fatal collision.
She said: “Mathew convinced me that my story could inspire others at rock bottom. I was reluctant to share my darkest moments as mental illness isn’t openly talked about.
You may also want to watch:
“After the loss of TV presenter, Caroline Flack, who was also struggling personally and ended her life, I felt that sharing emotions are important.
“If I can help inspire just one person to hold their head above water, then I’ll feel accomplished.”
- 1 Changes to bus services in Weston
- 2 Home Bargains store opens after £1million investment
- 3 Pupil awarded new bike for attending every lesson
- 4 Luxurious three-bedroom house overlooking Weston seafront
- 5 Pet store to relocate to new unit
- 6 Pub nominated for pub of the year in national awards
- 7 Weston mum thanks community after Afghan refugee donation
- 8 Plan to build £30million second school site approved
- 9 New restaurant named Hospitality Hero by Mercury readers
- 10 Weston celebrates Great Big Green Week