Friend couldn’t wake man on his sofa
PUBLISHED: 17:00 05 August 2012
A MAN who was described as ‘a known drug user’ died on a friend’s sofa after suffering with pneumonia, an inquest heard last week.
Jason Godbeer, aged 39, of no fixed abode, arrived at his friend’s home address in Brue Close on Weston’s Bournville estate at 4.30am, asking for a place to stay for the night.
When Mr Godbeer arrived at Jason Densham’s home he said he had locked himself out of his house.
Mr Densham said: “I could see he was very cold and under the influence of drugs and I told him to stay.
“When I came downstairs at 11.30am he was asleep on the sofa, he was snoring and groaning loudly. But when I shook him and called his name he was unresponsive.
“I tried to wake him all day and got no response.
“Around 4pm his hands had turned slightly blue and he had stopped groaning. His fingers were cold but his arms and legs were warm and I then noticed he had stopped breathing. At 4.55pm I called 999.
“I placed him on his back and he made a gasp for air. I did not conduct CPR on Jason as the ambulance crew arrived quickly.”
At Mr Godbeer’s inquest at Flax Bourton Coroners Court, the pathologist’s report revealed he used methadone.
Although the report revealed he had methadone and other drugs in his system, doctor Edward Sheffield said Mr Godbeer had established pneumonia, which was at least several days old.
He said: “In my opinion, for a person who had been on methadone the amount of drugs was below a toxic level. He was dealing with pneumonia and was severely ill when he went to sleep.”
Assistant Deputy Coroner Dr Peter Harrowing said: “Mr Godbeer was a known drug user and was taking methadone, and other drugs were found in his blood stream.
“The postmortem said the cause of death was aspiration pneumonia which I accept and I record a death being one of natural causes.”
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Weston Mercury. Click the link in the orange box above for details.