Futuristic train coming to Weston
A UNIQUE land train could soon be winding its way through Weston s streets as the hunt begins for an operator.
A UNIQUE land train could soon be winding its way through Weston's streets as the hunt begins for an operator.
It was one of the ideas thought up by Weston Mayor's think tank committee.
Now the group is drawing up paperwork to advertise to potential operators.
Once an operator is found, a licence will have to be gained to get the service up and running.
You may also want to watch:
Think tank committee member Terry Gilbert said: "It is scary, as to the amount of people that have to tick boxes to get the service up and running. It has got to the stage of drawing up the contracts for who wants to lease it. We then have to find an operator.
"Once an operator is found we can give them all the assistance in getting the licence."
- 1 Gale force winds expected to hit North Somerset
- 2 Party in the Park event returns to Weston
- 3 Weston's Marine Lake to remain closed due to safety concerns
- 4 PICTURES: New supermarket opens at shopping district
- 5 Weston is a 'really great place to invest'
- 6 Weston hotel destroyed by fire to be redeveloped this year
- 7 Have you seen wanted man Frazer Englefield?
- 8 The joys of sea air: The visitors' guide to Weston-super-Mare
- 9 Pub fun day raises hundreds of pounds for charities
- 10 Weston's youngest funeral director achieves qualifications
The train would travel past the Sovereign Centre, up the Boulevard and through the town centre pedestrian streets. It would go past all of Weston's attractions making it easier for visitors to get about and help reduce traffic congestion.
Mr Gilbert added: "We hope the route would cover every part of Weston and significantly help the transport system, especially in the busy months. It will have a positive impact on Weston."
The land train proposal was originally put forward 18 months ago, but was rejected by the highways committee.