GALLERY: School’s fire damage
PUBLISHED: 09:54 25 January 2013
A SOMERSET school, which has been badly damaged by an electrical fire, will remain closed until Wednesday.
Six crews from Cheddar, Burnham and Wells were called to Hugh Sexey Middle School in Blackford on Wednesday after reports of a blaze at around 10.45am.
The fire started in one of the classrooms in the old building and teams from the fire service had to strip off roof tiles to secure access to the blaze.
The school will be closed at the start of next week while repair work is carried out in the building.
Electricians are now working on the school’s main electrical cables, which were badly damaged by the flames.
Headteacher Jenny Venning told the Mercury the staff were made aware of an electrical fire in one of the old classrooms, which is part of the old building, and that everyone was evacuated from the school within minutes. No-one was hurt.
She said: “Once the cabling from the mains and the meter have been installed the electricians may then be able to get electricity to a part of the building and will then gradually phase in the other sections over a period of time.”
Staff are also putting together a pupil work programme in the absence of Monday’s lessons, which will be available via their website. The work schedule will be updated until pupils can return to the school.
*Clink on the link in the top right hand corner to see a gallery of the incident and the school’s damage.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Weston Mercury. Click the link in the orange box above for details.