Betting shop increase spark gambling concerns
- Credit: Getty Images/Ingram Publishing
Betting businesses are becoming more common in North Somerset, despite growing concerns over gambling addiction.
Latest figures show North Somerset has 25 betting shops, up from 20 in 2017 according to the Office for National Statistics.
The total is made up of casinos and arcades, in addition to bookmakers.
Simon Stevens, NHS England's chief executive, said: "The links between problem gambling and stress, depression and mental health problems are growing and there are too many stories of lives and families destroyed."
Marc Etches, chief executive of charity Gamble Aware, fears the rise of online betting is exacerbating the issue.
You may also want to watch:
He added: "If you're a problem gambler, it's likely you could be gambling in a variety of different ways.
"Having a highly regulated and fair environment for gambling is essential, and customer safety should always be of the utmost importance."
- 1 Man left with 'significant facial injury' following assault in Weston
- 2 Weston's four-day Oktoberfest to begin next week
- 3 Changes to bus services in Weston
- 4 Family-run business opens new tile and paving showroom
- 5 Entries open for Christmas Cracker race on Weston beach
- 6 Village enjoys returning horticultural show
- 7 Pub nominated for pub of the year in national awards
- 8 Luxurious three-bedroom house overlooking Weston seafront
- 9 WIN: Tickets to UK Pink Floyd at Weston Playhouse
- 10 Home Bargains store opens after £1million investment