Betting shop increase spark gambling concerns
- Credit: Getty Images/Ingram Publishing
Betting businesses are becoming more common in North Somerset, despite growing concerns over gambling addiction.
Latest figures show North Somerset has 25 betting shops, up from 20 in 2017 according to the Office for National Statistics.
The total is made up of casinos and arcades, in addition to bookmakers.
Simon Stevens, NHS England's chief executive, said: "The links between problem gambling and stress, depression and mental health problems are growing and there are too many stories of lives and families destroyed."
Marc Etches, chief executive of charity Gamble Aware, fears the rise of online betting is exacerbating the issue.
He added: "If you're a problem gambler, it's likely you could be gambling in a variety of different ways.
"Having a highly regulated and fair environment for gambling is essential, and customer safety should always be of the utmost importance."
- 1 Man killed after falling from bridge on M5
- 2 M5 closed after morning crash - causing FIVE MILES of tailbacks
- 3 Police oppose 2am licence for new bar in Weston over links to criminals
- 4 Burglars target 24 properties in North Somerset area
- 5 Ultimate obstacle course coming to Weston
- 6 PICTURES: More details of Weston's See Monster revealed
- 7 Thatchers is looking for new recruits to join cider business
- 8 Aldi chocolate and yoghurts containing metal among recent recalled products
- 9 Somerset MP defends PM attending Downing Street 'party' after 'busy day'
- 10 Martin Kemp to play 1980s tunes in Weston this weekend