Betting shop increase spark gambling concerns
- Credit: Getty Images/Ingram Publishing
Betting businesses are becoming more common in North Somerset, despite growing concerns over gambling addiction.
Latest figures show North Somerset has 25 betting shops, up from 20 in 2017 according to the Office for National Statistics.
The total is made up of casinos and arcades, in addition to bookmakers.
Simon Stevens, NHS England's chief executive, said: "The links between problem gambling and stress, depression and mental health problems are growing and there are too many stories of lives and families destroyed."
Marc Etches, chief executive of charity Gamble Aware, fears the rise of online betting is exacerbating the issue.
You may also want to watch:
He added: "If you're a problem gambler, it's likely you could be gambling in a variety of different ways.
"Having a highly regulated and fair environment for gambling is essential, and customer safety should always be of the utmost importance."
- 1 April 12 opening day: Sovereign Centre plans to shake-up Weston high street
- 2 Drink-driver jailed after causing serious injuries to Weston couple
- 3 Man charged with two counts of attempted murder
- 4 Inadequate care home responds
- 5 How to order free Covid home tests
- 6 Weston Marine Lake outdoor swimming plans reach key milestone
- 7 Tropicana confirms re-opening plans with first outdoor event
- 8 Weston micropub closes permanently due to coronavirus pandemic
- 9 April 12 reopening: Weston shops preparing for spending spree
- 10 The Playhouse announces reopening date this summer