Global Pride event to take place this weekend
- Credit: Archant
A worldwide Pride celebration will take place this weekend.
Global Pride will take place on Saturday.
The event will mark the 50th anniversary of the Stonewall Riots – a series of demonstrations by members of the gay community against a police raid.
The Pride flag is now up in Grove Park to support the online event.
Weston Pride founder Nigel Briers said: “The coronavirus pandemic has had an impact on Pride organisations worldwide with hundreds of marches and events cancelled or postponed.
“Global Pride provides an opportunity for the LGBTI+ community around the world to come together and celebrate diversity and equality during these challenging times.
“I personally have had the privilege to work with the international Pride movement during lockdown to support the delivery of the online event, I’m absolutely honoured.
- 1 Police take action against middle-lane 'hogger' on M5
- 2 'We want it back' - calls grow for return of Weston's miniature railway
- 3 £100,000 supercar clocked at 142mph on M5 in Somerset
- 4 Man killed after falling from bridge on M5
- 5 Developer reveals plans for 58 new homes on brownfield site
- 6 M5 closed after morning crash - causing FIVE MILES of tailbacks
- 7 Plan for Weston bar scuppered as licence refused
- 8 Weston and Burnham schools could feature in new academies trust
- 9 How romance fraud lost a Weston man his £150,000 life savings
- 10 Items left in town centre doorways to be removed in bid to tidy Weston town centre
“Global Pride is being led by a team of volunteers who are all committed to ensuring that everyone, everywhere, can take part in Pride.”
To celebrate Global Pride, click here.