Global Pride event to take place this weekend
- Credit: Archant
A worldwide Pride celebration will take place this weekend.
Global Pride will take place on Saturday.
The event will mark the 50th anniversary of the Stonewall Riots – a series of demonstrations by members of the gay community against a police raid.
The Pride flag is now up in Grove Park to support the online event.
Weston Pride founder Nigel Briers said: “The coronavirus pandemic has had an impact on Pride organisations worldwide with hundreds of marches and events cancelled or postponed.
You may also want to watch:
“Global Pride provides an opportunity for the LGBTI+ community around the world to come together and celebrate diversity and equality during these challenging times.
“I personally have had the privilege to work with the international Pride movement during lockdown to support the delivery of the online event, I’m absolutely honoured.
- 1 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 2 Football association charges club and players following investigation after abandoned match
- 3 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 4 Weston General Hospital increases patient-to-nurse ratio due to rising coronavirus patient numbers
- 5 Weston Town Council pledges to be an anti-racist authority
- 6 MPs brand placing North Somerset into tier 3 restrictions 'not right' and 'illogical'
- 7 County council chairman urged to resign over 'slip of the tongue' comment about gypsies
- 8 Appeal for Christmas gifts for elderly and isolated
- 9 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 10 Talent show judge releases book on postnatal depression
“Global Pride is being led by a team of volunteers who are all committed to ensuring that everyone, everywhere, can take part in Pride.”
To celebrate Global Pride, click here.