Gran's anger after park bottle injury

A FIVE-YEAR-OLD girl may lose the use of her fingers after falling on a broken bottle left in a Weston park. Sophie Adams, of Puxton Road, Puxton, was enjoying a day playing in Grove Park, with her dad Steven and grandparents Joan Day and Stan Hussey when

A FIVE-YEAR-OLD girl may lose the use of her fingers after falling on a broken bottle left in a Weston park.Sophie Adams, of Puxton Road, Puxton, was enjoying a day playing in Grove Park, with her dad Steven and grandparents Joan Day and Stan Hussey when she fell onto a broken bottle that had been left by a wall. It severed the tendons in her wrist.The injury to her hand was so severe that it resulted in her needing treatment at three different hospitals.Joan, aged 70, said: "We went to the park on Sunday and Sophie was playing happily in a wooden shelter near to the tea stall at the bottom of the park. She then sat on a stone wall in front of the shelter making daisy chains."The next thing we knew she had fallen off the wall and was screaming in pain. We rushed over to her with her dad, Steve, and realised she was covered in blood. It sounds awful, but it was literally gushing out, and it was at that point that we realised just how bad it was. She had fallen onto a broken bottle neck that had just been left on the ground."An amazingly helpful member of the public came over and told us to raise Sophie's arm to stem the flow of blood and he then called an ambulance for us. When the ambulance arrived the paramedic said he had been to the park earlier in the week, and had noticed lots of broken bottles and cleared them away."Sophie was taken to Weston General Hospital, but as staff there could not deal with her injury, she was taken by ambulance to Bristol Children's Hospital. Sophie was then referred to Frenchay Hospital where she underwent a three-hour operation to re-connect the tendons in her wrist.Specialists at Frenchay say it is likely Sophie may have permanently lost the feeling in two of her fingers and, possibly, her whole hand.Joan added: "We are never going to Grove Park again. It is absolutely disgusting that this should happen to a child in a place where it is obvious that children will play. Any parent or guardian should be able to take their children to a park without the fear of serious injury."The authorities should check all areas of the park daily or employ a warden to ensure this sort of thing does not happen again."A spokesman for the council said: "We are very sorry that Sophie has been injured. "We do have staff in the park and it is checked and cleaned on a daily basis. There are plenty of waste bins so there is no excuse for people not disposing of their rubbish safely. "If people have particular concerns we want to know so we can do something about them.


You may also want to watch:


Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus