Grand Pier shows support for Breast Cancer Awareness Month
- Credit: Weston Grand Pier
The Grand Pier will shine pink throughout October in support of Breast Cancer Awareness Month.
The pink tribute is just one in a number of changes to Weston’s pier in recent weeks.
Head of operations for the pier, Remy Haudecoeur, believes it was important to highlight the cause during the coronavirus pandemic.
He said: “At a time like this, charities need all the support they can get. For months, the coronavirus put breast cancer awareness on hold.
“Now more than ever, they need us to press play on breast cancer research and care”
You may also want to watch:
Alongside this, two historic photographs, measuring 16-feet tall and 20-feet wide, are positioned on the beach-facing towers of the pier’s pavilion building to celebrate the tenth anniversary of the pier’s reopening.
MORE: Free entry to Weston’s Grand Pier for localsThe north tower features a carefully restored image of the very first pier building dating back to 1910 while the west tower depicts the previous building before it was destroyed by a fire in 2008.
Remy added: “The idea was to create an installation that not only marked the tenth year since the reopening but something that also celebrated the pier’s amazing history.
- 1 PICTURES: Princess Anne visits Weston-super-Mare
- 2 High Court grants new inquest into death of baby boy
- 3 Primary school wins a second award for its focus on pupils’ mental wellbeing
- 4 Large-scale offshore rig to be built at Weston's Tropicana next year as part of UK-wide project
- 5 PICTURES: Village Flower Show returns after Covid hiatus
- 6 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 7 North Somerset Covid case rate at its highest
- 8 Weston MP and mayor attend anniversary ball
- 9 NHS calls for North Somerset residents to get Covid booster
“The huge photographs are displayed prominently on either side of the pavilion building, uniting the piers from past and present for the first time in history.”