Halloween costumes can catch fire, warns Avon Fire and Rescue Service

PUBLISHED: 12:13 27 October 2016

Archant

Parents should check their children's Halloween costumes are safe to prevent 'serious injury', according to Avon Fire and Rescue Service.

Avon Fire and Rescue Service’s safety tips

* Keep all costumes away from naked flames. Use LED candles in pumpkins and other decorations as these are much safer.

* Buy costumes from reputable sources.

* Check the label or packaging contains the manufacturer’s name, address, postcode or phone number and a registered trademark.

* Ensure the product is accompanied by instructions and safety information.

* Remember, cheaper products are more likely to be counterfeit and could burn quickly if they catch fire.

* Burns and scalds last a lifetime. Remember, if clothing does catch fire, stop, drop and roll to deprive the fire of oxygen.

Its group manager for risk reduction, Matt Peskett, said: “We don’t want to spoil people’s fun at this time of the year but we would ask families to make sure they keep children well away from naked flames.

“Instead of using candles to decorate a pumpkin you could opt for the battery powered LED tea lights with appropriate safety markings.

“These are much safer and reduce the risk of burns and other injuries which can last a lifetime.”

The fire service has provided a list of tips for parents to ensure children are kept safe.

Mr Peskett said failure to observe these may cause severe harm to youngsters.

He said: “Burns and scalds can last a lifetime so if your child’s clothing does catch fire, remember to get them to stop, drop to the floor and roll around.

“This will extinguish the fire by depriving it of oxygen.”

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Weston Mercury

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists