Planking your way to better health
- Credit: Pixabay
One of the main hurdles to doing regular exercise for many is the simplicity of what it is your doing.
Going for a walk is arguably one of the simplest (and effective) things to do, but perhaps not when it’s belting down with rain!
For those looking for more indoor inspiration, the plank or planking is something that almost anyone can do and it really does do the business. You don’t need any equipment and it doesn’t take vey long, just as long as you do it every day.
Jason Eaton, general manager at theclub and spa at Cadbury House explains: “Although it’s really simple to do, doesn’t mean it’s easy! That’s the beauty of it.
“In simple terms, the plank will see your body, face down, perpendicular to the floor. Your body will be elevated off the ground primarily with your elbows. You then hold that position for as long as you can bear. Think press up position but without pushing yourself up and down.”
So, what are the benefits?
Jason added: “There are many reasons to plank and it’s a very versatile exercise. First and foremost, it helps strengthen your core which are the muscles surrounding your trunk such as the abdominals, obliques, diaphragm, pelvic floor, trunk extensors and hip flexors.
- 1 Where is the best fish and chips shop in Weston-super-Mare?
- 2 Music acts to perform next to Weston's Birnbeck Pier
- 3 Somerset holiday park owners urge tourists to use common sense
- 4 Covid-19: Number of Delta variant cases in North Somerset
- 5 Beauty spot damaged as visitors use nature reserve as toilet
- 6 Beautiful three-bedroom penthouse, with panoramic views over Weston
- 7 Somerset votes for two unitaries instead of one by clear margin in poll
- 8 Woman dies at Weston cemetery
- 9 Freedom Day: Should we come out of lockdown on June 21?
- 10 New date for Trucks at the Beach announced
“Strengthening your core muscles and lower back and making sure your spine is aligned will really help improve your posture which in turn helps with lower back pain. And with more of us working from home over the last year, has led to a rise in people suffering from back pain, so including regular plank exercise into your day will work wonders.
“The plank also targets almost every group of muscles in the body which means that by planking every day will go on to make your whole body stronger.
“The beauty of the plank is that is can be done pretty much anywhere. Whether you’re at home, in the office or in the gym, I can’t recommend highly enough the benefits of including the plank as part of your daily routine.
“Here at theclub, we’ve launched a planking challenge to see who can hold the longest plank! It’ll be interesting to see how our members get on and who will be crowned King of the Plankers!”