Health club experts on hand to help with exercise referrals
- Credit: Cadbury House
There may come a time when we might need a bit of expert help following medical advice regarding our health and wellbeing.
Commonly known as exercise referrals, they are specific, formalised programmes where a doctor or medical professional refers a patient to follow a fitness programme.
Not to be confused with a recommendation to exercise, they are normally used to help with conditions such as weight control, blood pressure, asthma, arthritis and diabetes, as well as anxiety issues and depression.
They can also form part of a recuperation or recovery programme following an injury or accident.
Jason Eaton, general manager at theclub and spa at Cadbury House, in Congresbury, said: “The consideration for many once they’ve been given an exercise referral is, where to go! You can, of course, create a programme yourself, but the issue here is continued commitment to keep on track.
“There’s nothing wrong with using public facilities, but they don’t necessarily have the people power or breadth of expertise to put a desired programme in place that will help the user with their condition.
“Here at theclub, we not only have arguably the largest range of exercise classes and facilities anywhere in North Somerset, but also a team of personal trainers and fitness experts who can help put in place a programme that will adhere to the exercise referral.
- 1 Large-scale offshore rig to be built at Weston's Tropicana next year as part of UK-wide project
- 2 North Somerset Covid case rate at its highest
- 3 Award wins for Hutton In Bloom volunteer group
- 4 Cheddar 'pump track' approved and new facility could be in place next year
- 5 Executive four-bedroom nearly-new house near town centre
- 6 Claim for judicial review delays school expansion for vulnerable children
- 7 New principal appointed at academy
- 8 Weston pub to undergo renovations to restore 19th century look
- 9 Halloween 2021: What Halloween events are taking place in North Somerset?
- 10 PICTURES: Runners brave the elements at Weston Super Half
“Whether you mix between exercise at home combined with regular visits to a gym or health club is up to the individual, but the advantage of using a facility like theclub, is that the team is on hand to help with motivation and offer advice whenever it is needed.
“What’s important for people to know is that it’s not a strict, military style boot camp but a place where people can enjoy and maintain the recommended and required level of physical activity.
“There’s no denying the benefits of regular exercise. Not only can it help with the management of weight but, as I’ve said before in these columns, it has a positive effect on our mental wellbeing.
“And once you’ve got to where you want to be, maintaining a regular regime will go along way to protect you from developing any other health issues.”