Volunteers awarded for leading health walk groups
- Credit: Archant
Health walk leaders from across North Somerset have been commended for their long service to the scheme.
Sixteen volunteers were presented with awards for running walks to enable people get fit and improve their lifestyles.
Seven of the award-winners have been leading walks for five years, while nine have dedicated 10 years to the initiative.
Health walks is a national scheme which provides short, sociable walks for people of all ages who want to get fit.
In North Somerset, more than 400 people regularly take part, with more than 90 active volunteers leading the weekly programme on behalf of North Somerset Council.
You may also want to watch:
The volunteers were thanked for their commitment for leading walks in all weathers and for helping people to stay active.
Kira Thorpe, from the council, said: “The programme would not continue to thrive without the enthusiasm and passion from all the volunteers.”
- 1 Somerset holiday park owners urge tourists to use common sense
- 2 Where is the best fish and chips shop in Weston-super-Mare?
- 3 Music acts to perform next to Weston's Birnbeck Pier
- 4 Covid-19: Number of Delta variant cases in North Somerset
- 5 Beauty spot damaged as visitors use nature reserve as toilet
- 6 Beautiful three-bedroom penthouse, with panoramic views over Weston
- 7 Woman dies at Weston cemetery
- 8 Euro 2020: 7 places to watch Euro 2020 in Weston
- 9 Man charged with murder after woman dies 21 years after being set on fire
- 10 New date for Trucks at the Beach announced