Hedgehog found on Weston-super-Mare estate is covered in glue in a deliberate ‘act of cruelty’

PUBLISHED: 09:00 14 April 2017

The hedgehog which was brought into Prickles Hedgehog Rescue covered in glue. Picture: Jules Bishop

The hedgehog which was brought into Prickles Hedgehog Rescue covered in glue. Picture: Jules Bishop

Archant

A ‘harmless’ hedgehog was left for dead after being covered in glue on one of Weston-super-Mare’s estates.

The Hedgehog had his margarine treatment yesterday (Wednesday) with 'fantastic' results. Picture: Jules BishopThe Hedgehog had his margarine treatment yesterday (Wednesday) with 'fantastic' results. Picture: Jules Bishop

The mature male hedgehog was taken to Prickles Hedgehog Rescue, in the Wessex Business Centre, Cheddar, after he was discovered in a garden on the Oldmixon estate on Monday.

The spiky critter was covered in what vets believe to be a spray-on rubber resin solution.

Prickles Hedgehog Rescue founder Jules Bishop said: “This is an act of cruelty. It looks as though something has been sprayed on him and this was not a simple accident.

“It is very distressing when you get an animal which comes in like this and you know it was deliberate.

The Hedgehog had his margarine treatment yesterday (Wednesday) with 'fantastic' results. Picture: Jules BishopThe Hedgehog had his margarine treatment yesterday (Wednesday) with 'fantastic' results. Picture: Jules Bishop

“They are so harmless and for anyone to do this, it is horrible.”

The hog was rushed to the vets where it was put under general anaesthetic and had his fur shaved and his spines clipped.

Jules said they tried a number of methods to get rid of the glue but have only just had a break through after launching a Facebook appeal for help.

She added: “We tried margarine on Wednesday. The poor chap, it is so unnecessary that he has to go through this.”

The Hedgehog had his margarine treatment yesterday (Wednesday) with 'fantastic' results. Picture: Jules BishopThe Hedgehog had his margarine treatment yesterday (Wednesday) with 'fantastic' results. Picture: Jules Bishop

The homemade remedy was suggested by one of Prickles’ followers on social media.

Jules said the treatment had ‘fantastic’ results but it will take weeks of treatment to get him back to full health.

She added: “The hog is now on antibiotics and pain relief as the skin is just visible and, as we feared, the substance has burned it and he is bleeding at the base of the spines.”

If the volunteers at the charity are unable to remove all of the glue, the hog can not be released into the wild.

Jules added: “If we cannot get it off, we would have to remove all of his spines.

“If we do that it would mean he would have to stay with us for seven months, for his spines to grow back, before he can be released to the wild.

“This would not only distress him further but it would mean keeping a wild animal in captivity.

“Then it would be winter and we would not be able to release him at which point he would have to stay with us for a whole year.”

Jules said the matter will be passed on to the Avon and Somerset Constabulary’s wildlife crime unit for a full investigation.

If people find a hedgehog in need, then use the helpline on 07806 744772.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Weston Mercury. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Weston Mercury