Helicopter Museum given award for airfield heritage
PUBLISHED: 17:00 28 May 2018
The Helicopter Museum has been given an award recognising the historical significance of Weston's airfield.
The Veritcal Flight Society (VFS) has given its Heritage Sites Award to the attraction in Locking Moor Road, during a presentation at the group’s annual forum in Phoenix, Arizona.
Museum volunteer Alan Norris was given the award by VFS executive director Michael Hirschberg.
Weston’s involvement in vertical flight began in the 1930s when Sir Alan Cobham’s Flying Circus visited.
Then in 1945 the Bristol Aeroplane Company set up a helicopter design office at Elborough.
Although all design and manufacturing was transferred to Filton in 1955, the Weston factory was responsible for producing the Sycamore helicopter until 1959 and the development of the Belvedere helicopter which continued to be made at the site until the late-1960s.