Hot air balloons to take to the sky over air festival weekend
- Credit: Sub
A spectacle of hot air balloons can be seen by visitors to the Weston Air Festival and Armed Forces Weekend next month.
Organisers of the festival have revealed a host of balloons will ascend from the beach on June 22-23.
Balloons On The Beach will return to the town this year as part of the festival, which will see up to 30 hot air balloons launch from the seafront at dusk, following the day's spectacular air display programme.
The addition to this year's event was announced this week as a hot air balloon took off from the seafront at dawn on Monday.
Balloons On The Beach, which is sponsored by Renishaw and organised by Exclusive Balloon Events, will be the largest hot air balloon mass ascent to take place from the sands.
You may also want to watch:
Last year the stunning Longleat lion balloon, known as Simbaloo, became the first one to launch from Weston beach in the resort's history.
Russ Currie, leisure manager at North Somerset Council, said: "It's events like the air festival which firmly place North Somerset on the map and make it a great place to live and visit.
- 1 Event organiser fined for noise complaints
- 2 10 beauty spots in North Somerset
- 3 Michael Eavis, Weston Mayor and former football players at pier fundraiser
- 4 Have your say on plans for new GP surgery on Weston Rugby Club site
- 5 Disruptions to your journey by car across North Somerset
- 6 Funeral directors set up new Weston branch
- 7 Forest preschool and holiday club set to open on outskirts of Weston
- 8 Weston hotel destroyed by fire to be redeveloped this year
- 9 Have you seen wanted man Frazer Englefield?
- 10 The joys of sea air: The visitors' guide to Weston-super-Mare
"With brilliant additions to the programme, like Balloons On The Beach, we have no doubt the 2019 event will continue to position North Somerset as a destination of choice."
The RAF Red Arrows, Battle of Britain Memorial Flight, Chinook, Team Raven, Strikemaster, the Bremont Great War Display Team and the HMS Royal Marines, Plymouth have all been confirmed to perform at the weekend.
Head of communications at Renishaw, Chris Pockett, said: "Everyone loves to see hot air balloons in the sky.
"We are pleased to support an event which will bring them to the sky above Weston, including our very own G-RENI."
Last year saw more than 200,000 people attend the event and this year is set to be just as big with entertainment in the air and on the ground in the Armed Forces village, which will be set up on the Beach Lawns.
A similar event, Weston super Glow, was due to be held in November but was cancelled at the last minute due to bad weather.
The festivities will start at noon on June 22 with a parade from the Grand Pier, in Marine Parade, into the village.