GO KIDS GO! Enter now to win chunk of £8,000 pot to benefit children
- Credit: Archant
Thousands of pounds are up for grabs as the annual Go Kids Go! campaign is launched.
Weston Lions Club and the Mercury have once again partnered up with the town's businesses to give back to organisations and groups to benefit children.
This year will see applicants vie for a chunk of a £8,000 pot which has been pooled together thanks to sponsors pledging hundreds of pounds each.
Lion Malcolm Timmis said: "It is with great pleasure and more than a little excitement we launch the seventh season of Go Kids Go!
"This project, organised jointly with Lions club and the Weston Mercury, has raised and distributed some £70,000 since its inception.
You may also want to watch:
"The project was started with the aim of encouraging activity in children and young people.
"It was felt that those people were spending too long in front of screen based entertainment.
- 1 PICTURES: New Aldi store opens in shopping district
- 2 Poignant artwork installed on Weston beach
- 3 Weston chosen as a ‘priority place’ in bid to transform the country through culture
- 4 Second school site gets approval despite opposition
- 5 Day of Ibiza club classics to be performed in Weston this weekend
- 6 Bake Off stars to host afternoon tea in North Somerset this weekend
- 7 Luxurious three-bedroom house overlooking Weston seafront
- 8 Two free festivals to bring top acts and 'extraordinary events' to Weston
- 9 CCTV appeal after man seriously assaulted in Weston
- 10 Children encouraged to take up Covid jab
"This was leading to increasing indolence and, perhaps more importantly, social isolation.
"The latter is perhaps the more curious in these days of global social media but without the need to socially interact personally in a team environment such interaction becomes more difficult, if not impossible.
"We wanted to try to encourage a more balanced lifestyle.
"The people we ask to help us have the same outlook and around 15 to 20 businesses and other organisations have helped us raise the money."
Mercury editor Tom Wright said: "The Go Kids Go! scheme is for me one of the best initiatives the Mercury gets involved in.
"It is no secret funding cuts have made life more difficult for many community organisations in recent years, so I'd like to thank the Lions and businesses for again being very generous and helping these groups continue their brilliant work."
You can enter online here.
Alternatively, you can pick up a form from the Mercury office in Waterloo Street.
Applications must be submitted to email@example.com or to Go Kids Go!, Weston, Worle and Somerset Mercury, 32 Waterloo Street, Weston, BS23 1LW by 9am on July 17.
Judges will convene to make their decision on July 17 ahead of the cheques being presented at the Lions' Real Ale Festival on July 27.