Couple homeless after fire tears through caravan
PUBLISHED: 12:00 03 May 2018
A fundraising campaign has been launched to help an 'exhausted' couple get 'back on their feet' after a fatal fire tore through their home.
Andrew and Kerenza Tucker lived in a static caravan in Hutton and were saving to build their own house after getting married last year.
However, on April 23 disaster struck when they returned from a trip to the vets to find their home ‘destroyed’ by an electrical fire which killed Kerenza’s beloved dog, Fliss, despite the desperate attempts of firefighters to resuscitate the pet.
Since then their close friend Rebecca Culley has launched a campaign to help the pair get their lives ‘back on track’.
She said: “I have set up this campaign to raise much-needed emergency funds after fire and tragedy left two of my friends homeless, living out of bags and relying heavily on family and friends for places to stay, and the very basic of things like hot meals and showers.
“It has been a really rough few months for the couple with Kerenza’s horse being very poorly leaving the vet bills climbing with an undecided future lying in the balance, then Andy’s dog had to be rushed to the vets for an emergency caesarean to deliver a whopping 12 pups.
“They were both just starting to try and get some normality back in their lives when fire and tragedy struck a final blow.
“I found Kerenza sat on the grass covered in black soot stroking Fliss’s head.
“It was totally heartbreaking – Fliss was her best friend.
“The fire left nothing untouched and they have lost all but a few personal belongings and are now homeless, coupled with no money to even put down on a rented property for the time being.
“They are both physically and mentally exhausted and need new hope that it is all going to be OK, so let’s all band together and help them get back on their feet.”
The couple are staying with family while almost £1,500 has been donated to Rebecca’s campaign so far.
Kerenza said: “Thank you to everyone who has helped, donated and offered help.
“You are all amazing and my angels.
“It is helping us through this horrid time.”
To donate, visit www.gofundme.com/newly-weds-left-homeless-after-fire