‘No confidence’ in fracking in North Somerset - campaigners
- Credit: Archant
An anti-fracking campaign group says the vast majority of people it has spoken to do not want to see the process happen in the South West.
Frack Free North Somerset campaigners spoke to 181 people living in Hutton between April and July to find out their views.
With fracking a possibility to the south of Weston, the group was keen to hear what villagers thought.
A spokesman for the organisation said 157 of the 181 responders would not consent to fracking in the area if given the choice. By comparison, only seven were wholly in favour of fracking.
The spokesman added: “This is an impressive vote of no confidence in the idea of fracking in North Somerset.”
You may also want to watch:
Fracking sees water, sand and chemicals pumped at a very high pressure into the earth in an attempt to release gas which can be used as energy.
But environmentalists around the world are concerned the practice will cause major problems to the ground.
- 1 Disruptions to your journey by car across North Somerset
- 2 Worle resident left with maggot-infested bins during heatwave
- 3 LOVE ISLAND 2021: Weston's Jake Cornish makes it official with Liberty
- 4 Could self-driving pods be the future of Weston?
- 5 Overnight A&E closures continue at hospital
- 6 Manchester United legends and All Stars put on nine-goal thriller at Cheddar
- 7 Versatile extended cottage with annexe in rural village
- 8 Council hopes to reopen Weston Marine Lake later this week
- 9 Green Party candidate elected to council following by-election win
- 10 Temporary closure of Weston's Marine Lake