IN PICTURES: Funeral for the planet held in Weston town centre
- Credit: Archant
A funeral procession to mourn the loss of life on the planet was held in Weston’s town centre on Saturday.
A procession, organised by Xtinction Rebellion (XR), started at the Town Hall and went along the high street where people dropped to the ground in a ‘die-in’.
The funeral follows North Somerset Council’s declaration of a climate emergency and looking for ways to go carbon neutral by 2030.
A XR spokeman said: “Weston came out in force to demonstrate on Saturday and this reflects the numbers of people who are quite obviously alarmed by the climate and ecological crisis the planet is facing.
“Without rapid reductions in our carbon emissions to net zero, catastrophic climate change and mass extinction level events will inevitably occur.
You may also want to watch:
“This is going to effect everyone on the planet, including the people, flora and fauna of North Somerset.
“We must not let this happen.”
- 1 PICTURES: New Aldi store opens in shopping district
- 2 Poignant artwork installed on Weston beach
- 3 Weston chosen as a ‘priority place’ in bid to transform the country through culture
- 4 Second school site gets approval despite opposition
- 5 Day of Ibiza club classics to be performed in Weston this weekend
- 6 Bake Off stars to host afternoon tea in North Somerset this weekend
- 7 Luxurious three-bedroom house overlooking Weston seafront
- 8 Two free festivals to bring top acts and 'extraordinary events' to Weston
- 9 CCTV appeal after man seriously assaulted in Weston
- 10 Children encouraged to take up Covid jab