Injunction lodged to delay Tropicana demolition
PUBLISHED: 12:30 21 September 2012
CAMPAIGNERS have called upon the High Court to halt demolition of Weston’s derelict Tropicana swimming pool - but officials say the action will only delay bulldozers by one week.
Trop (WSM) Ltd this week launched new legal proceedings to try to prevent North Somerset Council from pulling down the former attraction, which has been empty since 2000.
But council officials insist the action - designed to offer the landmark a stay of execution while further rebuilding options are pursued - will run out today (Friday).
A council spokesman said: “There has been an injunction served on the council but will only last one week..
“The council is now taking instructions and will respond accordingly.”
The Trop (WSM) group, which is headed by businessman Derek Mead, has continued its battle against the bulldozers after the Secretary of State for communities and local government Eric Pickles gave a green light to plans to pull down the seafront site last month.
His decision was made in support of the council’s vote to demolish the site.
Despite the group’s attempts to save the crumbling building, which included plans to turn the Tropicana into an all-weather facility, Mr Pickles said he believed there is ‘no alternative but to demolish the site’ and agreed with the council’s verdict that the group’s plan was not viable.
Trop (WSM) Ltd has also appealed Mr Pickles’ decision and is now awaiting a court hearing. Group member Amanda Sutherland, who is a planning consultant, said: “The Trop will fight on, the High Court has granted a stay so we have stopped the council from bulldozing the site for the moment and will wait for the judge to make a decision on our appeal.”
The group has also been preparing an application for its planning team so that its proposal to refurbish the site can be considered once again.
Mr Mead said: “I won’t let the council continue to spend public money for the benefit of private developers.
“The Tropicana was for the people of Weston and it should stay that way. How they can justify spending £700-800,000 of our money on demolition when we have a viable plan to bring it back to life is beyond me.”
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Weston Mercury. Click the link in the orange box above for details.