Wells MP James Heappey backs Boris Johnson as UK’s next Prime Minister
- Credit: Archant
Wells MP James Heappey has voiced his support for Boris Johnson to become the Conservative Party’s next leader and the UK’s Prime Minister.
Heappey posted a picture on Twitter of himself smiling beside the slogan 'I'm backing Boris' this week.
He stated by supporting Johnson, this will ensure the UK leaves the European Union on October 31.
Heappey said the country can then 'start to focus on other important issues' such as 'climate change' and 'protecting the environment'.
This comes after the Mercury reported North Somerset MP Liam Fox said he backs Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt for the role on Tuesday, following in the footsteps of Weston-super-Mare MP John Penrose.
You may also want to watch:
Eleven candidates, including Dominic Raab, Andrea Leadsom and Michael Gove, have put their name forward after Theresa May announced her departure from 10 Downing Street almost a fortnight ago.
Mrs May is due to step down as Conservative leader tomorrow (Friday) after she failed to deliver a suitable Brexit deal.
- 1 PICTURES: New Aldi store opens in shopping district
- 2 Poignant artwork installed on Weston beach
- 3 Weston chosen as a ‘priority place’ in bid to transform the country through culture
- 4 Day of Ibiza club classics to be performed in Weston this weekend
- 5 Second school site gets approval despite opposition
- 6 Bake Off stars to host afternoon tea in North Somerset this weekend
- 7 Luxurious three-bedroom house overlooking Weston seafront
- 8 Two free festivals to bring top acts and 'extraordinary events' to Weston
- 9 Children encouraged to take up Covid jab
- 10 Hospitality Day 2021: Weston micropub thriving once again following reopening