Highly-regarded carnivalite elected president of SCGFCA
- Credit: SCGFCA
A well-known carnivalite has been elected president of the Somerset County Guy Fawkes Carnivals Association (SCGFCA).
John Owens has taken on the role following an SCGFCA meeting last month.
The association is an umbrella organisation for the eight illuminated November carnivals held in the region, including Weston’s spectacular parade.
John, of Bridgwater, has been actively involved in carnival for more than 50 years.
He joined his first and only club, Lime Kiln CC, when he was 14 years old.
You may also want to watch:
For the past 24 years, he has held the positions of secretary and treasurer with the SCGFCA, which was formed in 1951.
John said: “Being awarded the presidency of the county circuit is one of the proudest moments of my long carnival career.
- 1 Man charged with two counts of attempted murder
- 2 Drink-driver jailed after causing serious injuries to Weston couple
- 3 April 12 opening day: Sovereign Centre plans to shake-up Weston high street
- 4 Inadequate care home responds
- 5 Weston Marine Lake outdoor swimming plans reach key milestone
- 6 Weston restaurants reopening outside on April 12
- 7 Proposal to reduce traffic on rural roads withdrawn
- 8 April 12 reopening: Weston shops preparing for spending spree
- 9 Tropicana confirms re-opening plans with first outdoor event
- 10 North Somerset antisocial behaviour orders come into force
“I look forward to working with county officers and carnival towns in making our spectacle sustainable for future generations to enjoy.”