Highly-regarded carnivalite elected president of SCGFCA
- Credit: SCGFCA
A well-known carnivalite has been elected president of the Somerset County Guy Fawkes Carnivals Association (SCGFCA).
John Owens has taken on the role following an SCGFCA meeting last month.
The association is an umbrella organisation for the eight illuminated November carnivals held in the region, including Weston’s spectacular parade.
John, of Bridgwater, has been actively involved in carnival for more than 50 years.
He joined his first and only club, Lime Kiln CC, when he was 14 years old.
You may also want to watch:
For the past 24 years, he has held the positions of secretary and treasurer with the SCGFCA, which was formed in 1951.
John said: “Being awarded the presidency of the county circuit is one of the proudest moments of my long carnival career.
- 1 Man left with 'significant facial injury' following assault in Weston
- 2 Weston's four-day Oktoberfest to begin next week
- 3 Changes to bus services in Weston
- 4 Family-run business opens new tile and paving showroom
- 5 Entries open for Christmas Cracker race on Weston beach
- 6 Village enjoys returning horticultural show
- 7 Pub nominated for pub of the year in national awards
- 8 Luxurious three-bedroom house overlooking Weston seafront
- 9 WIN: Tickets to UK Pink Floyd at Weston Playhouse
- 10 Home Bargains store opens after £1million investment
“I look forward to working with county officers and carnival towns in making our spectacle sustainable for future generations to enjoy.”