Highly-regarded carnivalite elected president of SCGFCA
- Credit: SCGFCA
A well-known carnivalite has been elected president of the Somerset County Guy Fawkes Carnivals Association (SCGFCA).
John Owens has taken on the role following an SCGFCA meeting last month.
The association is an umbrella organisation for the eight illuminated November carnivals held in the region, including Weston’s spectacular parade.
John, of Bridgwater, has been actively involved in carnival for more than 50 years.
He joined his first and only club, Lime Kiln CC, when he was 14 years old.
For the past 24 years, he has held the positions of secretary and treasurer with the SCGFCA, which was formed in 1951.
John said: “Being awarded the presidency of the county circuit is one of the proudest moments of my long carnival career.
- 1 Police appeal after acid attack on woman in Weston
- 2 Fears Weston will be UK 'laughing stock' if See Monster delayed until September
- 3 Masonic lodge donates to Weston's RNLI
- 4 New coastal path linking Brean to Sand Bay opens
- 5 North Somerset Council to approve historic bus improvement plan
- 6 Councillor heralds Marine Lake revamp a 'huge success'
- 7 Weston College to launch new adult courses for free
- 8 Research reveals which car brands hold their value best
- 9 Bank of England warns people have 100 days to use old £20 and £50 notes
- 10 Watch Stone Age musical in Hutton this weekend
“I look forward to working with county officers and carnival towns in making our spectacle sustainable for future generations to enjoy.”