Public swimming pool planned for Kewstoke along with holiday park
A swimming pool could be built on the outskirts of Weston as part of a proposed 320-caravan holiday park.
Mead Realisations wants to build the holiday park in Kewstoke, on seven fields off Sand Road.
As part of the proposals, the developer has applied to North Somerset Council for permission to build a two-storey leisure building with a swimming pool, gym, bar and restaurant.
Documents submitted with the application say: “The leisure facility proposed in association with the change of use of the land will provide a swimming pool facility so as to expand the suitability of the site for continued use throughout the year rather than reliance solely on the beach.
“In addition, this facility will be open to the local community and will improve the community facilities available to villagers and improve opportunities for access to healthy leisure pursuits.”
You may also want to watch:
Mead Realisations believes the scheme would benefit the tourism industry in Kewstoke.
There is only one publicly-available swimming pool in Weston and the villages immediately surrounding it, at Hutton Moor Leisure Centre.
- 1 Somerset holiday park owners urge tourists to use common sense
- 2 Where is the best fish and chips shop in Weston-super-Mare?
- 3 Music acts to perform next to Weston's Birnbeck Pier
- 4 Covid-19: Number of Delta variant cases in North Somerset
- 5 Beauty spot damaged as visitors use nature reserve as toilet
- 6 Beautiful three-bedroom penthouse, with panoramic views over Weston
- 7 Woman dies at Weston cemetery
- 8 Euro 2020: 7 places to watch Euro 2020 in Weston
- 9 Man charged with murder after woman dies 21 years after being set on fire
- 10 New date for Trucks at the Beach announced
North Somerset Council is considering building a second one, but no concrete plans have been put forward.
Planning documents submitted with the Kewstoke application say: “The proposed development offers a high-quality holiday and leisure accommodation facility which will provide for economic benefit to the whole of the North Somerset area.
“The site will provide employment for the community as well as the by-product income as a result of the tourists staying overnight local to other facilities in Weston.”
Mead Realisations is run by the Mead family, who own Puxton Park in Hewish.
A planning application for holiday lodges at Puxton Park was rejected by North Somerset Council in 2016, but approved on appeal by a planning inspector.
Mead Realisations said the council ‘should consider that decision when determining this application so as to prevent further erroneous assumptions being made by committee in the determination of this application’.
Kewstoke Parish Council will hold a public meeting to discuss the plans on August 23 at 7.30pm in the village hall in Crookes Lane.