Killer virus found at kennels

A DEADLY virus has been discovered at a kennels in Lympsham.

A DEADLY virus has been discovered at a kennels in Lympsham.

Parvovirus, which can prove deadly in dogs, was exposed at Whitehouse Kennels and Cattery after dogs fell ill.

The kennels normally take in dogs rescued by the RSPCA and strays brought in by dog wardens from North Somerset Council and Sedgmoor District Council.

Both local authorities have stopped bringing any more strays to the animal facility and its owner, Jerry King, has issued a warning to all dog owners in the area.


You may also want to watch:


Jerry, who runs the kennels with his wife, Christine, said: "A stray dog brought the infection to us and we have now vaccinated all un-housed dogs. We are still taking boarding pets but this is after consultation with a vet.

"We are informing all our customers and urging dog owners to make sure their pets are vaccinated against the disease."

Most Read

The disease, first discovered in the 1970s, is caught by contact with faeces and only affects dogs which have not been inoculated.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus