Liberal Democrat candidate Patrick Keating pleased party is ‘gaining support’
- Credit: Archant
Weston’s Liberal Democrat candidate says it is the party’s ‘best result’ in more than 10 years.
Patrick Keating finished third in yesterday's General Election with 6,935 votes.
John Penrose retained his seat with 31,983 votes, while Tim Taylor came second with 14,862 and the Green Party's Suneil Basu finished fourth.
Speaking about the result, Patrick Keating said: "I am feeling pretty good, this is our best result in more than a decade and we have built on our share from last time out.
"This shows we are gaining support here and building on our European support.
You may also want to watch:
"We now need to work together with Labour and the Greens to make sure we hold John to account."
Mr Keating said he enjoyed the campaign and would be keen to run again in future.
- 1 Teenager charged with murder in Weston
- 2 Popular food festival returns to Weston this weekend
- 3 Will garden village be revived?
- 4 How to order free Covid home tests
- 5 Flag stolen during period of national mourning
- 6 Recycling centres set to be 'very busy' due to ease in lockdown restrictions
- 7 Arrest made following death of man in Weston attack
- 8 Man charged with two counts of attempted murder
- 9 Local artists bring wow-factor to Weston shop windows
- 10 Drink-driver jailed after causing serious injuries to Weston couple