Liberal Democrat candidate Patrick Keating pleased party is ‘gaining support’
- Credit: Archant
Weston’s Liberal Democrat candidate says it is the party’s ‘best result’ in more than 10 years.
Patrick Keating finished third in yesterday's General Election with 6,935 votes.
John Penrose retained his seat with 31,983 votes, while Tim Taylor came second with 14,862 and the Green Party's Suneil Basu finished fourth.
Speaking about the result, Patrick Keating said: "I am feeling pretty good, this is our best result in more than a decade and we have built on our share from last time out.
"This shows we are gaining support here and building on our European support.
You may also want to watch:
"We now need to work together with Labour and the Greens to make sure we hold John to account."
Mr Keating said he enjoyed the campaign and would be keen to run again in future.
- 1 PICTURES: New Aldi store opens in shopping district
- 2 Second school site gets approval despite opposition
- 3 Weston chosen as a ‘priority place’ in bid to transform the country through culture
- 4 Appeal to identify man after sexual assault
- 5 Blue plaque installed for famous actress
- 6 CCTV appeal after man seriously assaulted in Weston
- 7 North Somerset mortgage firm named UK's number one broker for outstanding customer outcomes
- 8 Two free festivals to bring top acts and 'extraordinary events' to Weston
- 9 Historic detached house near Weston town centre
- 10 Two shops opening for first time next week