North Somerset Council column: We still need to be Covid cautious
- Credit: Archant
The last couple of weeks of turmoil have added to the burden of life we all have endured for very many months and the turn in the weather hasn't helped our mood either.
While we are learning to live with Covid 19, infection is still very prevalent in our community, though increasing vaccination rates are being very effective in reducing the virus's really serious ill effects, we do need to continue to be cautious.
And we go into winter with serious issues in our supply chains, the impacts of both shortages of various skills in the economy and the end of furlough affecting very many of our residents, plus potential for significant outbreaks of flu and Covid 19.
Please do follow up any offers of flu vaccinations and Covid boosters to help us all keep safe - the leader of the council is due his flu jab this week.
We as a council are very mindful of these circumstances and we are extremely grateful for the tireless work of our own staff and those of our marvellous community partners in looking after our residents and businesses.
The ongoing efforts of all of you through North Somerset Together remains invaluable in addressing these challenges and in addition we shall soon be letting you know how we shall be distributing our share of the government's Household Support Fund which will help our most vulnerable neighbours.
That said, as we move into autumn and towards Christmas we have a range of events and activities to entertain and, we trust, provide some light relief. We are delighted to be working with Arts Council England, since we are very proud to be a Priority Place across the South West as part of their Delivery Plan, which means we shall have a wide range of arts and culture activities for us all coming over the next three years, with some exciting imminent announcements due.
- 1 Weston will get a bowling alley next year
- 2 Meet the owners of Weston's only seafood restaurant
- 3 Five sites get Green Flag status
- 4 Puxton Park pumpkin patch now open
- 5 Man jailed for knife possession offence
- 6 Executive four-bedroom nearly-new house near town centre
- 7 New principal appointed at academy
- 8 Impressive house in a popular area of Weston
- 9 Yeo Valley extends open days for award-winning garden
- 10 Doctors could be under pressure if changes to surgery boundaries are not implemented