Boris Johnson ‘sitting up in bed’, chancellor confirms
- Credit: PA
Boris Johnson is on the mend and “sitting up in bed” the chancellor has confirmed.
Rishi Sunak, speaking at the daily Downing Street press conference, said the prime minister is receiving “excellent care”, adding: “The latest from the hospital is the prime minister remains in intensive care where his condition is improving.
“I can also tell you that he has been sitting up in bed and engaging positively with the clinical team.
“The prime minister is not only my colleague and my boss but also my friend and my thoughts are with him and his family.”
He added: “The news about the PM reminds us how indiscriminate this disease is.
You may also want to watch:
“Nearly everyone will know someone who has been affected – friends, family, neighbours, colleagues. This is a terrible virus that respects no boundaries of status or geography or vocation.”
Mr Sunak said all Britons are taking part in a “collective national effort” to protect vulnerable people and public services and to save lives.
- 1 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 2 Police release CCTV image of man wanted in connection with GBH in Weston
- 3 Local Plan proposals for development in North Somerset
- 4 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 5 Appeal after brick thrown through window in Weston
- 6 'Suspicious' fire damages caravan outside Weston home
- 7 Sharp rise in coronavirus cases in over 60s
- 8 Weston fundraiser donates hundreds to hospital for saving his life
- 9 Two charged with burglary and fraud
- 10 Pubs running takeaway and collections during lockdown
A Tory source said: “The mood in Number 10 has always been determined – but it has lifted in the last 24 hours. We are all hoping Boris is back at work soon.”