Travellers set up camp on Weston seafront
- Credit: Archant
A group of travellers has set up camp on the Beach Lawns in Weston.
The group pitched up on the seafront yesterday (Sunday) afternoon. The unauthorised encampment has been reported to Avon and Somerset Constabulary and North Somerset Council.
Cllr Mike Bell, the authority's deputy leader, said: "Today (Monday) we will be undertaking the necessary welfare checks and issuing a notice for them to quit the land.
"Following this, if the encampment doesn't move off by the deadline set, we will seek a magistrates' court date to issue eviction proceedings.
"Unfortunately, this is a process we are obliged to go through due to government rules but we will work as quickly as we are allowed."
North Somerset Council had to apply to the magistrates' court for an eviction notice after a group of travellers set up an unauthorised encampment on the Beach Lawns two weeks ago.
The authority is looking into better ways to protect the Beach Lawns in the future.
- 1 Where is the best fish and chips shop in Weston-super-Mare?
- 2 Somerset holiday park owners urge tourists to use common sense
- 3 Music acts to perform next to Weston's Birnbeck Pier
- 4 Covid-19: Number of Delta variant cases in North Somerset
- 5 Beautiful three-bedroom penthouse, with panoramic views over Weston
- 6 Beauty spot damaged as visitors use nature reserve as toilet
- 7 Woman dies at Weston cemetery
- 8 Tuk-tuks to provide tourist information service in Weston
- 9 Hornets and Weston excited by 2021-22 season fixtures release
- 10 New date for Trucks at the Beach announced
On his Facebook page, Cllr Bell said: "I am awaiting a report from council officers on measures to better protect the Beach Lawns and, if these are affordable and practical, I’ll push to get them implemented as soon as possible."