1pm.19.11.07. RESIDENTS in Burnham should be on their guard against a lottery scam which has been reported in the town.
RESIDENTS in Burnham should be on their guard against a lottery scam which has been reported in the town.
The news comes after a letter was handed into the town's police station on Saturday which had been delivered to an elderly man in a care home.
The letterhead, which claimed to be from the International Lottery Board SL in Spain, told the recipient that had won a large sum of money and had to send their bank details.
Police say the letter is not connected to any legitimate lottery and is thought to be a scam.
You may also want to watch:
Officers are now warning residents not to hand over any personal details as very few legitimate companies are likely to request personal bank details in a letter.
Anyone with information about the letters is urged to call police on 0845 456 7000 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
- 1 Tributes flood in for 'one in a million' Terry
- 2 Event organiser fined for noise complaints
- 3 Funeral directors set up new Weston branch
- 4 Weston's Party in the Park 'biggest yet'
- 5 Four-bedroom 1930s detached house in Milton
- 6 10 beauty spots in North Somerset
- 7 Michael Eavis, Weston Mayor and former football players at pier fundraiser
- 8 Weston Rotary Club celebrate 100 years
- 9 The joys of sea air: The visitors' guide to Weston-super-Mare
- 10 Live music returns to village this weekend