1pm.19.11.07. RESIDENTS in Burnham should be on their guard against a lottery scam which has been reported in the town.
RESIDENTS in Burnham should be on their guard against a lottery scam which has been reported in the town.
The news comes after a letter was handed into the town's police station on Saturday which had been delivered to an elderly man in a care home.
The letterhead, which claimed to be from the International Lottery Board SL in Spain, told the recipient that had won a large sum of money and had to send their bank details.
Police say the letter is not connected to any legitimate lottery and is thought to be a scam.
You may also want to watch:
Officers are now warning residents not to hand over any personal details as very few legitimate companies are likely to request personal bank details in a letter.
Anyone with information about the letters is urged to call police on 0845 456 7000 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
- 1 Popular food festival returns to Weston this weekend
- 2 Teenager charged with murder in Weston
- 3 Engaged couple thank new friends for 'special' night at Weston restaurant
- 4 Recycling centres set to be 'very busy' due to ease in lockdown restrictions
- 5 Will garden village be revived?
- 6 Arrest made following death of man in Weston attack
- 7 Man charged with two counts of attempted murder
- 8 Worle man becomes South West's record blood plasma donor
- 9 Dreaming of reaching the Olympic Games with Isabel Blackhurst
- 10 Flag stolen during period of national mourning