PICTURES: Police warn drivers to avoid M5 as lorry is engulfed in flames
- Credit: Tom Atkin
Avon and Somerset Police have advised drivers to avoid the M5 Northbound as they deal with a burning lorry between junctions 20 and 19.
A video emerged on social media earlier today (April 25) showing a Weston's Cider lorry well alight.
Residents living nearby have told the Mercury and Times they heard explosions from the motorway which "sounded like fireworks going off".
Avon and Somerset Police and Avon Fire and Rescue teams were called to the incident at around 1.13pm.
A spokesperson for Avon and Somerset Police has said: "A road closure is currently in place on the M5 Northbound from between junction 20 (Clevedon) to junction 19 (Portishead) due to a vehicle fire.
"There are no reported injuries.
"Long delays are expected and motorists are advised to avoid the route."
- 1 WATCH: Moment unlikely heroine saves the day at Weston Air Show
- 2 Thugs targeted elderly couple's motorhome as they slept during Weston Air Show
- 3 French court claims Jill Dando may have been 'murdered by mistake'
- 4 Weston to celebrate Pride with style this weekend
- 5 PICTURES: Weston Air Festival and Armed Forces Weekend 2022
- 6 Census 2022: North Somerset's population grows by 7pc since 2011
- 7 Police appeal after acid attack on woman in Weston
- 8 Glastonbury Festival 2022: Our review of the Worthy return...
- 9 Land near railway station could be sold for housing
- 10 New coastal path linking Brean to Sand Bay opens
Firefighters remain on the scene.