M5 closure causes traffic chaos
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
Mayor delays are expected on many routes this morning following the overnight closure of the M5 following a serious accident.
The northbound carriage way was closed until just before 8am between junction 21 Weston-super-Mare and Junction 19 Portishead while emergency services investigated and cleared a crash involving an overturned vehicle.
Unconfirmed reports on social media claim the overturned vehicle is a police car.
Diversions were in place along the A370 and A38 with both roads still congested.
There are delays of up to 24 minutes along the A370 to Congresbury, and nine minutes on the A38 to Churchill.
You may also want to watch:
Traffic is also backed up through Portbury.
One frustrated Commuter said: "Banwell is chocka from Locking. I'm on a bloody B road above Banwell and we are not moving."
- 1 PICTURES: New supermarket opens at shopping district
- 2 Worle resident left with maggot-infested bins during heatwave
- 3 Electrical appliance retailer opens appliance showroom
- 4 Opening date announced for new supermarket
- 5 Council backs call to improve poor health in seaside towns
- 6 Water Adventure Play Park's water is off again
- 7 Versatile extended cottage with annexe in rural village
- 8 Former mayor and mayoress of Weston celebrate diamond wedding
- 9 Pub fun day raises hundreds of pounds for charities
- 10 Party in the Park event returns to Weston
Commuters are advised to plan their journeys accordingly.
More to follow.