M5 closure causes traffic chaos
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
Mayor delays are expected on many routes this morning following the overnight closure of the M5 following a serious accident.
The northbound carriage way was closed until just before 8am between junction 21 Weston-super-Mare and Junction 19 Portishead while emergency services investigated and cleared a crash involving an overturned vehicle.
Unconfirmed reports on social media claim the overturned vehicle is a police car.
Diversions were in place along the A370 and A38 with both roads still congested.
There are delays of up to 24 minutes along the A370 to Congresbury, and nine minutes on the A38 to Churchill.
You may also want to watch:
Traffic is also backed up through Portbury.
One frustrated Commuter said: "Banwell is chocka from Locking. I'm on a bloody B road above Banwell and we are not moving."
- 1 Armed police at Birnbeck Pier after reports of men with a gun
- 2 Petrol filling station and food store opens on outskirts of Weston
- 3 Sun shines on successful Weston food festival
- 4 'Brilliant week' for Weston after April 12 ease in restrictions
- 5 Surfer sets up new water sports business in North Somerset
- 6 Police appeal for dash cam footage after serious collision near Weston
- 7 Workshops to discuss new medical centre at Weston Rugby Club
- 8 GALLERY: Photographers capture springtime snapshots in Weston-super-Mare
- 9 Winscombe gardening business gets Alan Titchmarsh's blessing
- 10 Teenager charged with murder in Weston
Commuters are advised to plan their journeys accordingly.
More to follow.