M5 closure causes traffic chaos
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
Mayor delays are expected on many routes this morning following the overnight closure of the M5 following a serious accident.
The northbound carriage way was closed until just before 8am between junction 21 Weston-super-Mare and Junction 19 Portishead while emergency services investigated and cleared a crash involving an overturned vehicle.
Unconfirmed reports on social media claim the overturned vehicle is a police car.
Diversions were in place along the A370 and A38 with both roads still congested.
There are delays of up to 24 minutes along the A370 to Congresbury, and nine minutes on the A38 to Churchill.
Traffic is also backed up through Portbury.
One frustrated Commuter said: "Banwell is chocka from Locking. I'm on a bloody B road above Banwell and we are not moving."
- 1 Four jailed for total of more than 40 years for raid at drug dealer's home
- 2 Man jailed for stealing high-powered cars
- 3 Brilliant Bailey signs for high-flying Bristol Rovers
- 4 Named: 52 people fined for dropping cigarettes and dogs off leads
- 5 Residents fear mysterious CCTV camera is looking into homes
- 6 HGV crashes into BUILDING in Banwell
- 7 New boss Hutt 'couldn't say yes fast enough' to Winscombe post
- 8 Hornets celebrate historical promotion to National 2 West
- 9 Rat-infested house used for drug dealing boarded up
- 10 Grand Pier unveils jam-packed Platinum Jubilee Celebrations
Commuters are advised to plan their journeys accordingly.
More to follow.