M5 blocked as crews tackle van fire
- Credit: Burnham-on-Sea Fire Station
The M5 was at a standstill this afternoon after a van burst into flames.
All lanes of the M5 Northbound between junction 22 to Edithmead and junction 21 to Weston were closed while firefighters tackled the blaze.
Two crews from burnham arrived on the scene just after 1pm to find the van well alight.
They set to work extinguishing the fire using a compressed foam jet while wearing breathing aparatus.
Approximately 50 per cent of the van was destroyed in the fire, which investigators believe was accidental.
You may also want to watch:
Traffic was backed up to Sedgemoor Services and there are delays of approximately 24 minutes with vehicles crawling along at an average speed of 5mph.
The road was re-opened just before 2pm and traffic returned to normal
- 1 Large-scale offshore rig to be built at Weston's Tropicana next year as part of UK-wide project
- 2 Weston pub to undergo renovations to restore 19th century look
- 3 North Somerset risks 43,000 false-negative PCRs after lab mix up
- 4 PICTURES: Runners brave the elements at Weston Super Half
- 5 Weston families 'deciding between keeping children warm or fed'
- 6 Council rejected for grant to preserve Iron Age monument
- 7 Wheelchair Rugby Gold medallist surprises Weston pupils
- 8 Weston will get a bowling alley next year
- 9 Bleadon-cold: Council's gritters return with sustainable fuel
- 10 Man jailed for knife possession offence
This weekend is expected to be an especially busy one on the nation's roads, as millions of people head home for Christmas.